Exuma’s infamous swimming pigs win again! The famous Big Beach, also known as Big Majors Cay, was recently named one of the best beaches in the world by Big 7 Travel.
Big 7 Travel compiled a list of the 50 best beaches in the world. Exuma’s Pig Beach came in at number 10 overall. The full top 10 list includes:
10. Pig Beach- Exuma, The Bahamas
9. Kanuhura Maldives- Lhaviyani Atoll, Maldives
8. Playa Ruinas- Quintana Roo, Mexico
7. Source d’Argent- Seychelles
6. Reynisfjara Beach- Vik I Myrdal, Iceland
5. Secret Lagoon – El Nido, Palawan, Philippines
4. Grace Bay – Turks and Caicos
3. Fig Tree Bay – Protaras, Cyprus
2. Whitehaven Beach – Whitsunday Islands, Australia
1. Zlatni rat (Golden Horn Beach) – Brac, Croatia
Pig Beach, as the cay is commonly known as to tourist, is located in the Exumas. It can only be visited by boat, so those looking to visit will need to book a day trip through a local tour guide. As the name implies, Pig Beach is home to Exuma’s famous swimming pigs! These pigs have made a big splash in the past few years, and are a major draw to tourists visiting the Bahamas.
Those looking to visit the swimming pigs should remember to respect these animals. There are a few things tourists should keep in mind when visiting them. They have become such a huge attraction the past few years don’t be surprised if you’re not the only ones there!
Congratulations to Exuma! This chain of cays has a lot to offer, not just swimming pigs. But it’s amazing to have this small district recognized so often.